Insurance Disputes

Sometimes, claims can be brought to cover physical damage caused to property, including homes and contents and motor vehicles.

Traditionally, the word “damages” refers to claims for compensation arising from incidents such as a fall in a supermarket, or an incident on public transport. This is not the type of damage we are referring to here.

What sort of compensation can I expect?

    What Kind of Damage?

    This section of the site discusses claims for physical damage caused to property, including personal and real property. The damage may be as the result of a natural disaster, or because someone else was negligent, or for any other reason.

    Specific examples include flood damage caused to homes, or damage caused to cars as a result of a motor vehicle accident. If you have insurance, these types of claims generally involve negotiating with insurance companies, which can be a very time consuming and frustrating process. Insurance companies are often notorious for dragging claims out, or rejecting claims unfairly. So, even if you have filed a claim and been rejected, don’t give up.

    Property Damage

    If your property is damaged and you have insurance, you may be able to make a claim. PK Simpson can help you to determine whether you have a valid claim, and to navigate through the claims process. Click through to find out more about Property Damage claims.

    Motor Vehicle Damage

    Damage caused to Motor Vehicles through incidents on the road are a common everyday experience. However, making a claim through an insurer can be a time consuming process.Read on to find out how PK Simpson can help you to file a claim, and advocate on your behalf.

    How Can We Help?

    At PK Simpson, we can help you file a claim to cover any expenses accrued from property damage, and can negotiate with insurers on your behalf to provide the best outcome for you.

    We pride ourselves on resolving legal issues on behalf of everyday Australians. We offer a no win – no fee service, ensuring that you can afford the advice and representation that you need. Call us today on (02) 9299 1424 for more information on how we can help.


    There are many steps in the process, and dealing with insurers can be time consuming and frustrating. PK Simpson can help you by negotiating on your behalf, ensuring you get the best outcome.

    Claims Process

    The first step is to obtain two quotes from different repairers that cover both labour and parts. If the car is damaged to the extent that it cannot be repaired, you can obtain an estimation from a panel beater or other expert valuer of the cars value pre-incident.

    The next step is to send a letter of demand to the owner/driver of the car and their insurer asking for payment. You should attach the quote, and give them a specific time frame in which you expect response. You may wish to seek legal advice at this stage. At times, for example, where involved in a hit and run, you may not know who the driver was, or have obtained the details of their insurer. At PK Simpson, we can conduct an investigation in order to obtain this information for you. On the other hand, if you have received a letter of demand, we can help to draft a response for you catering to your needs.

    Going to Court

    Where the party at fault fails to pay within the time specified, you may wish to proceed to court. There are strict time limitations in bringing an action for motor vehicle damage to court. Again, we advise that, especially if you are considering going to court, you seek expert legal advice. Going to court can be time consuming and stressful, and having a lawyer with expertise in this area will help take a lot of the stress and confusion out of the process.

    Alternatively, you may be able to lodge a dispute with the Financial Ombudsman Service, if the claim is for $3,000 or less and the other party has insurance.